What can you find in this week's Isthmus? Highlights from the latest issue follow:
- Isthmus excerpts a new book on Gov. Scott Walker's anti-union plan: More Than They Bargained For: Scott Walker, Unions and the Fight for Wisconsin.
- Judith Davidoff reports on Rep. Brett Hulsey's plan to train a legislative aide in self-defense with a box cutter.
- Judith Davidoff recounts how she was told by a Department of Health Services spokesperson that Sec. Dennis Smith was not leaving the agency.
- Dave Cieslewicz reports that UW-Madison will start offering free online courses.
- Ruth Conniff weighs in on the rancor surrounding the Madison school board race.
- Katie Reiser goes behind the scenes of Madison Ballet's original production of Dracula, which will premiere at Overture Center's Capitol Theater.
- Jennifer A. Smith says University Theatre's ambitious production of Woyzeck is "just what a university theater should be doing."
- Cameron Connors critiques Broom Street Theater's Not the Artist, a play about a stormy relationship between two painters.
- Scott Gordon checks in with A Haircut, a playful punk band that's emerged from the underground for a show at Mickey's Tavern.
- Scott Gordon reports on an upcoming tribute to jazz legend Dexter Gordon at the UW.
- Mike Noto interviews one of three impressive guitarists from Caspian, a band set to play the High Noon Saloon.
- Dean Robbins discovers the most wholesome prostitute ever on Lifetime's The Client List.
- Kenneth Burns marvels at the scenery and storytelling in Werner Herzog's Happy People: A Year in the Taiga, and Marjorie Baumgarten criticizes the script of The Great and Powerful Oz but praises the superb scenery.
- Linda Falkenstein orders lots of sammies at the Underground Butcher.
- Linda Falkenstein reports on how Madison baby food makers YumTum are refining their product.
- John Morgan offers tips on how to hike in spring and not return home a mudball.
- Tell All defends UW author Lorrie Moore.
- Jason Joyce suggests for what to watch during the WIAA State High School Basketball tourney.