Beyond the Score®: Scheherazade
John DeMain, Conductor
James DeVita, Actor, as Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Brenda DeVita, Actor, as the Storyteller
NIKOLAI RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Scheherazade
· Created by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Beyond the Score®: Scheherazade is a musical experience that involves a multimedia examination of the music with live actors in the first half of the program with a full performance of Scheherazade in the second half.
· Inspired by the tales of A Thousand and One Nights, Scheherazade is Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov’s musical narrative of fairy-tale wonders.
· In the first half, acclaimed American Players Theater actors James DeVita and Brenda DeVita portray Rimsky-Korsakov and the Scheherazade storyteller, respectively, while photos, images, video and live musical excerpts demonstrate the colorful and exotic Scheherazade: its context in history, how it relates to other composers, and the events of Rimsky-Korsakov’s life that influenced its creation.
· The captivating music of Scheherazade evokes images and passions with a solo violin representing the intoxicating storyteller – Scheherazade. Based on an ancient Persian legend, Sheherazade staves off her death at the hands of her cruel Sultan husband, by regaling him with stories for 1001 nights until he falls in love with her. Rimsky-Korsakov evokes the moods of her various tales with memorable and haunting melodies.
· Beyond the Score® is designed for classical music aficionados and newcomers looking to delve deeper into the world of classical music.
· The Madison Symphony Orchestra’s prior Beyond the Score®: New World Symphony was a sold-out performance in Jan. 2014.