Wisconsin Transgender Health Summit
Saturday, May 2
Fitchburg Public Library, 5530 Lacy Road
Questions or accommodations? Please contact Shor at firstname.lastname@example.org. See more and RSVP at the WI Trans Summit website! https://witranshealth.wordpress.com/
The Summit is being organized by a group of community folks in Madison who saw a need to bring transgender folks, gender non-conforming folks, and those serving them (clinicians, advocates, social workers, etc) together. Our mission is to build a coalition or group dedicated to improving the lives of transgender and gender non-conforming individuals in southcentral Wisconsin.
Our strategy is to amplify the voices of transgender and gender non-conforming community members in order to build supportive, inclusive community resources. We are doing this by:
- collecting data in transgender and gender non-conforming communities about their experiences and needs around community health and local resources
- initiating community dialogues to better understand the nuances of what is happening in trans* communities and how people are utilizing resources
- sharing this community-driven data with trans* community members, service providers, and organizations with the goal of informing future decision making about how to increase accessibility, to strengthen competency of services in the area, and increase the well-being of trans* communities
- gathering local individuals, providers, organizations, and others who want to meet the needs of trans and gender non-conforming folks by doing the work specified in the community needs assessment.
- developing sustainable infrastructure to carry this work into the future and continue the process of strategic interventions
Here is the agenda for the Wisconsin Trans* Health Summit
- What we can learn from local data: a glimpse into what is happening in Wisconsin trans* communities
- Lunch time celebration and mingling! We will be joined by local agencies and local providers who are currently working with trans* and gender non-conforming people
- Visioning for the future: WI Trans Health “Coalition” visioning session
*A note on language: we have used the term “trans*” here as a catch-all term to encompass the wide array of transgender experiences and identities. We understand that not every person who has transgender lived experience or who identifies as transgender uses the term “trans*”